Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones...

"I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
And in short, I was afraid"

Last week, I told someone that I didn't like something she had worked on. It's something I do all the time at the newspaper where I work. And it wasn't even a little bit malicious; I asked her to fix it because I thought it was ugly (I use the word ugly very loosely--words are often ugly to me as are fonts and paragraph breaks and headlines...). The point being it was a very, very minor criticism, something I didn't even remember doing.

But I found out today that the girl I said it to has been worried about it for days and has been obsessing over the fact that I didn't like her work.

Lesson of the day: be careful what you say, someone might take it personally.

1 Comments:

At 3/29/06, 9:30 AM, Blogger Amishav said...

Yes, it's very difficult to make any sort of criticism about anything to anyone today and not have it blown up out of proportion. I'm a teacher and its getting to the point where we simply cannot say that anyone's little darling is less than stellar. I recall being in school and having some serious dressing downs by my teachers and I completely deserved it. I knew it and didn't think it was that big a deal. In today's environment, that would simply not be allowed. From what I've been hearing from my friends in the private sector, that sort of thing is spreading into the world of work as well. Not that one shouldn't be careful about what you say, but it's getting absurd. Best of luck to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home