Monday, March 20, 2006

Have the Courtesy to Reject Me

Applying to summer jobs is hard. Very, very hard. It's a lot of mind-numbing work, coupled with deadlines, competitive acceptance rates, emotional drainage, and a million trips to the post office. (I recognize that applying for regular jobs isn't any easier, I'm just not there yet.)

And that's fine. It comes with the territory. It's not fun, but it's just the way it is. Rejection is also probably gonna be part of the picture (at least in the field I'm applying to). And that's OK too. Not fun, again, but part of the package.

However, I do think that if an applicant put in all the work and tried so hard and sent you their heart and soul in a one-page resume and cover letter, then the employer upon rejection, owes the applicant a true rejection--whether by letter or phone or even e-mail. Rejection letters are not fun to get, but it's even less fun to have to call up an office and grovel until they tell you that they don't want you.

It's a common courtesy and it would be nice if for all the travails of applying you got that back. That's all.

7 Comments:

At 3/20/06, 2:48 PM, Blogger TRW said...

Grr...I had that. They did send me a rejection letter in late August for a job that started in June. And what if I'd been waiting for them before accepting a different job?

 
At 3/20/06, 3:14 PM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

I feel your pain. Law firms are supposed to send letters when they don't invite you for an interview, but lately, that hasn't been the case.

 
At 3/20/06, 3:48 PM, Blogger Michael said...

So sorry...keep that chin up though, you never know what better opportunity is coming up just around the corner.

Somehow, gam zu l'tovah.

 
At 3/20/06, 8:18 PM, Blogger bellanny said...

I feel your pain. Right now I am applying for an entry level job, and over the last two months I have been sending in my resume and cover letter by mail as well as applying for countless jobs online. As of now I have only heard back from one place. Groveling does hurt. So keep your chin up. Hopefully an opportunity will come along for a great summer job. There is still time.

 
At 3/21/06, 8:54 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

You are right, but basically you demand menshlichkeit(basic descend behavior) from business operatives, that I'm afraid is too much to ask.

 
At 3/23/06, 5:54 AM, Blogger Karl said...

Thats life.
Nothing is fair in this world

 
At 4/17/06, 9:58 PM, Blogger Lichvod Shabbat Kodesh said...

I applied for some program this summer and received no feedback upon request for weeks after the deadline. Finally, they told me that my interview would be two months after it was supposed to be. I then withdrew my application and received a generic rejection letter two weeks later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home