Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A Bit of Philosophizing ... or Eli7 Has Too Much Thinking Time on Her Hands

It's funny how we always assume that we have people figured out, that we know who they are and what they believe and where they are in life and why. It's funny how we assume that we know what we want and where we want to be and that when we get there life will be good. It's funny how we're so often wrong.

Funny how we think we'll know how we'll react to certain things. Funny how we think we'll know how everyone else will react and how they'll feel. Relationships are funny, people are funny. And I think we can't help stepping back every now and then at specific moments and wondering how it all could have been different and wondering if we're really happy where we are.

And I don't think there's an easy answer. I don't think we can always figure out how we feel or where we want to be. I think we're all products of our life choices and some events force us to wonder about those choices. And we'll never really know where we stand or where we could stand or could be.

That's it. Just some random thoughts. Take them for what you will. Or don't. But I just think that we all think we always have it all figured out and then it takes a startling event to shock us out of that line of thinking.

3 Comments:

At 1/4/06, 7:42 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Wow, I can totally relate to this today.

Over Chanuka, a decision I thought was etched in stone for years became but a fantasy due to some unforseen circumstances. I was distraught, kept thinking "Rabos machshavos b'lev ish, va'atzas HaShem hi sakum" along with the Yiddish adage my Bubbe taught me when she had a heart attack, "Man thinks and G-d laughs" (it's much better in original Yiddish) but before the week was out came up with a solid "Plan B." Then today, after speaking to someone, "Plan B" didn't look so good anymore.

So what do I want and where do I want to be? I thought I knew but "a startling event" shocked me out of that line of thinking...but now what?

The best answer I can come up with is "Sof davar hakol nishma; es haElokim yira v'es mitzvosav shimor ki zeh kol ha'Adam." Everything else in our lives can change drastically, but as long as we keep living within the Torah's framework and keep our eyes on focused on the things that matter, everything else has a way of falling properly into place. It's important to take a step back and take stock every once in a while (or every day) but if, in fact, you are startled, don't freak out because that startling is also part of 'where we're going.'

 
At 1/4/06, 9:22 PM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

Sometimes we even surprise ourselves. Those moments can be the best of our lives.

 
At 1/5/06, 12:40 PM, Blogger Devorah said...

hmm...was this truly "random" ? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home