Sunday, December 11, 2005

On Newspapers, Doing What I Love, and Severe Sleep Deprivation

"Call it vanity, call it arrogant presumption, call it what you wish, but I would grope for the nearest open grave if I had no newspaper to work for, no need to search for and sometimes find the winged word that just fits, no keen wonder over what each unfolding day may bring."

People always tell you to find something you love doing, find something that makes you happy and productive. Well, I've been lucky enough to have found that by taking part in publishing a newspaper at Columbia. It is something that gives me an adrenaline rush I cannot describe, something that makes me ecstatic even in the face of severe sleep deprivation. (And by severe I mean I have gone to sleep after 9 a.m. for two of the last three nights.) It is the best thing I have done in college and defines my two and half years here more than any class I've taken or book I've read.

Last night/this morning (read: 6:45 a.m., but I fully maintain it's not morning till you've gone to sleep), I was given a fairly high position on that newspaper, and I could not be happier. I have truly found something I love. It makes me happy and fulfilled and excited and all things good ... and just a little tired.

2 Comments:

At 12/11/05, 11:38 AM, Blogger EN said...

Mazal Tov!

 
At 12/11/05, 12:09 PM, Blogger respondingtojblogs said...

Congrats- the Spectator is just about the most prestigious campus paper in the country, and having an exec position will carry you very far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home