Thursday, December 15, 2005

Blinded by the Light?

Judaism is inherent in my very being, in everything I do, and in who I am. That makes sense--that's what being an Orthodox Jew is all about. That's because being an Orthodox Jew is the single most important thing to me.

So, it's funny when other people don't know that. There are two people in particular who I have known for quite a large part of my college career who I just assumed knew I was frum. But they didn't. I mean, no clue.

It kinda makes me think I'm doing something wrong. Like why isn't it so obvious that I'm frum? Shouldn't my religion, my beliefs, pervade everything I do to such an extent that it's obvious to an outside observer? Well, shouldn't it?

3 Comments:

At 12/15/05, 1:50 PM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

I'm surprised. Usually the skirts are a dead giveaway.

 
At 12/15/05, 3:32 PM, Blogger Karl said...

We try so hard to be part of society; blend in yet remain frum, so why is it strange that you have achieved that? Surely it is a good thing?

Or is it only now that you have acheieved it that you realize what you have lost?

Being different - recognizably different, to your secular surroundings acts as an extra shmirah from falling into any tricky situations (unfortunately you dont have kippa, tzitzit or beard as an option). Assuming that they now know that you are frum, has created a big kiddush Hashem and put Orthodox Judaism in a positive light for them.

 
At 12/15/05, 7:54 PM, Blogger Keren Perles said...

What's the post title for?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home