Sunday, December 04, 2005

Good Night Moon, Good Bye Political Correctness

I found this submission in the Times amusing. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. The question is to what extermes should we go for political correctness? Should we digitally edit out the cigar from the hands of the Goodnight Moon author? Should we edit all the other "inappropriate" things from the book too? Should we call freshmen first-years? Should we rename all our Secret Santa games Secret Non-Denominational Holiday Authority Figure? Should the Christmas tree become the holiday tree?

I don't know, but the article is cute. It made me happy. And that's a good thing.

2 Comments:

At 12/5/05, 3:32 AM, Blogger Jeru Guru said...

Love your blog :)
I'll be back.

JG

 
At 12/5/05, 6:33 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I read that article, too, mostly because that was one of my favorite books when I was a little kid. The article made me happy, but I do think that the author looks decidedly strange with empty fingers. I never noticed the cigar, and I almost wish that things could just stay the same.

Maybe it's time to move on, but you can bet I'm going to look through all the shelves at home for the book, which they now say is a collector's edition. With the cigar, of course.

Wouldn't it be ironic, though, if people start giving these valuable editions as baby gifts, as they often do with other rare books? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Funny though, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home