Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Just in Case Y'all Have Been Missing Me

I have been out of blog commission for awhile due to a few unfortunate circumstances--mostly a lot of work and a computer crash--and some not-so-unfortunate circumstances--election day weekend and a family bar mitzvah in Monsey, ir haKodesh. But now I am back, maybe (we'll see how the work goes...).

But just in case y'all have been missing me terribly, some thoughts from my hiatus before I go off to read an essay about humanitarian intervention or something:

  • We are INCREDIBLY dependent on computers. When mine crashed (don't ask, long story which mostly makes me look stupid) I freaked out. For like five days. I cried to my father. I cried to my friends. I told said listeners that if I didn't get my files back I would contemplate suicide or drop out of school (note: I was NOT serious). It was bad. Really bad. It almost makes me want to write everything out by hand and ditch the thing completely. Almost.
  • People are not all good or all bad and sometimes you just hafta appreciate the whole person. I am not always on the best terms with my father, but I called him crying about my computer and he came and fixed it for me. That's right, he spent five hours in my dorm room and then countless more on the phone with me. That means he cares. He's not perfect, but then neither am I (shhh, don't tell).
  • Things change and that's ok. Transitions suck and that's ok too. It is not ok for those feelings to be invalidated. And it is not ok for people involved to not at least try to help in that transition. (Ok, fine, bad use of double negative. Sue me.) Sometimes you just need someone to tell you that they understand and they'll try.
  • Friends are people who get excited about something just because you're excited about it.
  • You appreciate something A LOT more if you had to go through pain to get it.
That's all folks. I am off to the library with my trusty iPod. Wish me luck and lots and lots of caffeine.

4 Comments:

At 11/16/05, 5:23 PM, Blogger Nephtuli said...

Backing up your files is crucial, especially in law school. Remember that when you're a 1L toiling in the library at 11PM and your computer crashes.

 
At 11/16/05, 6:02 PM, Blogger Devorah said...

hmmm...i miss that days when i was alluded to in a more positive light :-(

 
At 11/17/05, 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friends are people who get excited about something just because you're excited about it.

You appreciate something A LOT more if you had to go through pain to get it.


I agree whole-heartedly. Glad your computer is back up and running.

 
At 11/17/05, 7:11 PM, Blogger Josh said...

FS - Most of life seems to serve as a reminder of Who's in control. Hopefully, everyone sees that, no matter how much Kefira they're surrounded with.

But I don't know if crying over a computer crash means that you're not pursuing a relationship with Gd. I think it means you're upset over a loss. Like how we cry on Tisha B'Av for the lost Torah learned with the Asarah Harugei Malchus, Lehavdil.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home