Thursday, August 04, 2005

Why Did the Kosher Chicken Cross the Road?

So I could eat it! (See question four.) Yet another interview. This one comes from an anonymous commenter and asks me about everything form the Supreme Court to the Gaza Disengagement. (And all in five questions!)

1. Is your long term goal to be in Israel and have a family or to be in America as a Supreme Court Justice?
Good question. You know when you're lying in bed at night almost asleep and you have this fantasy world where things are so cool but so unrealistic? In that world, I want to be a Supreme Court justice, because with my interest in law, I think it would be a really cool thing to do. However, it is unrealistic on many, many counts, and it's not a goal I plan on working toward because it's not a goal that I will ever realize. But in real life - the life you confront after you get up out of your bed in the morning - in real life, I want to have a family and live in Israel and be a successful professional, only second to being a successful mother.

2. Being cynical doesn't have to connote being negative--it can mean being skeptical. And you should be skeptical of Bernard Goldberg! What do you really feel cynical about your life and the world around you?
Being skeptical is very different than being cynical. (And though being skeptical can be a good thing, I do believe you can be skeptical to a fault.) But when I said I'm cynical, I did not mean skeptical; I meant that I often focus on the bad in a situation as opposed to on the good in a situation and that makes me upset, and that is not a good thing. I think I tend to feel cynical when I'm in a situation that I don't deem ideal to begin with, but then I make it out to be even worse than it is by only focusing on the negative, and that is detrimental to my happiness and my positive outlook and is therefore bad.

3. How do you feel about the Gaza disengagement?
I am anti-Disengagement. I don't think that moving settlers out of the land the government told them to move to is fair. I think it's a horrible and traumatic thing. I think it's fairly ridiculous to give back land that we won in a defensive war.

But even more than all that, I don't think it's going to accomplish anything. We have no promise of peace from the Palestinians and it's pure folly to assume that if we do something nice, they will reciprocate - they never have before even when we had actual agreements, why should they now?

Not to mention the fact that just shoving land at them isn't going to help the Palestinians. The Palestinians are a poor and oppressed people who have been taken advantage of by their leadership time and time again. They deserve our sympathy, but giving them the land without the resources to make something out of it, without an economic system that can allow for development is asking for them to fail.

The fact that these lands are security threats makes the most sense to me as a reason to disengage, however, the entire Israel is one gigantic security threat and we shouldn't just start giving back land because it's hard to keep safe, or we'll have nothing left - I mean, have you seen a map of the countries that surround Israel?

But I also believe that as Americans we should support the Israeli government in what they do so that Israel can survive and function and prosper, even if we don't agree with them.

4. Someone says to you: "Hey eat this chicken or we'll kill another chicken!" (it's kosher)...what do you do?
I eat the chicken, duh. I'm a starving college student; I eat any kosher free food that is offered to me. (And chicken is especially appealing being that I just spent an entire summer living on wacky mac and PB&J.)

5. What is the worst you ever felt and why?
I think the worst emotion I ever have is helplessness. I am a fairly independent person who likes planning and taking care of things in advance and when something is completely out of my hands, I can't stand it. I hate seeing people I love hurt and I hate it even more because oftentimes I can't make it better, I can't fix it. I hate it when something goes wrong because I couldn't foresee it and it messes things up. I like knowing that I can fix something, that if I work hard and put in the time, it'll come out ok, but knowing that sometimes that's not the case, that no matter how much work you put in sometimes it's not gonna work out ok, that's the worst feeling ever.

Too lazy to put in the rules, you can find them below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home