Friday, July 29, 2005

An Interview on First Dates and Stay-at-Home Mommies

Just when you thought there were no original questions left to ask, Classmate-Wearing-Yarmulka asks me five new questions!

I'H, your husband makes enough money, so that you working is unnecessary. Do you still work?
Absolutely. Perhaps selfishly, I hope that I never have to work, so that if I would like to be a stay-at-home mommy, I have that oppurtunity. But I am someone who thrives on intellectual work, and I don't see myself being happy staying at home all day everyday for the rest of my life. I want to work so that I do something productive, so that I get out into the real world, so that I value the time I have at home with my family. I don't want my family to turn into a job, I want my family to be what I look forward to after work.

Name one food you were afraid of, but tried it anyway and liked it.
"I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I am." That said, my friend once made challah and I knew that she had mixed up the amounts of some of the ingredients and it looked kinda funny, so I was very skeptical, but it was awesome! I tried sushi which was very scary and didn't like it at all though, so I'm not sure what that says for trying new foods...

What's the most dangerous thing you've ever done?
Umm, just last night my roommate and I wanted a picture at a monument and we saw some tourists there and wanted to catch them to take our picture, so we ran across a four-lane street against the light to take the picture. Alternately, my sister and I once illegaly crept under the locked gate and on to the beach at night because I needed to tovel my Pesach coffee pot before I went back to my dorm, because I could not go without coffee for the four days of chol hamoed I would be at school. I'm not sure if either of those are the MOST dangerous things I've ever done, but neither was very smart or safe.

Describe your ideal first date.
You mean there's more than one before you get engaged? Just kidding. But I do feel like first dates, especially in the frum world, are destined to be uncomfortable and awkward and unpleasant. Is there a way to solve this? No, but there are certainly ways to make it less bad. So, my ideal first date would be a two-hour (keep it short, you just met each other, you don't want to spend evbery waking second together yet) walk through Central Park on a spring or fall day when it's not too hot or too cold (so you can be in a public place but still be able to talk somewhat privately and hopefully not have too many shidduch date spotters around poitning fingers and laughing). Conversation should be natural and flowing and not solely question-answer format about hashkafa (it's not an interview, it's a date!). And the girl should be warned that you're going to be walking so heels would be a bad idea. I think that's about as good as it can get.

Paper or plastic?
As a good liberal, I have to say paper, but when you're grocery shopping in the City and are gonna hafta walk your groceries home, you gotta do the much-easier-to-carry plastic. Sometimes you gotta do whatcha gotta do, and the environment just has to suffer the consequences. It's much better than trying to juggle three paper bags and dropping one and watching your apples roll across Broadway at 116th. Trust me on this one.

Now the rules again:
1) Leave me a comment saying "interview me please."
2)I will respond by asking you five questions (not the same as above)
3)You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.
4) You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5) When others comment asking to be interviewed you will ask them five questions.

2 Comments:

At 7/29/05, 8:23 AM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

As a good liberal, I'd expect you to have a canvas bag that can be used over and over again. Some tree had to be cut down to make the paper bag!

 
At 7/29/05, 8:42 AM, Blogger Eli7 said...

I guess I'm not as die-hard liberal as you thought...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home