Friday, July 29, 2005

It's All About Me! Another Interview

I think this is going to be the last interview I answer for awhile (I'm all interviewed out), but this one is from Life-of-Rubin and has some really interesting questions that have me pondering sexism and watches and being a guy...

1) If you had to choose between two free trips, one being able to travel for as long as you wanted to either all 50 states and see this country or be able to go to ONE country abroad, which would you choose and which country would you choose if you choose going international?
Israel, Israel, Israel!! Honestly, I'm a little Israel-deprived right now (I haven't been there since I came back from my year in seminary over two years ago), but that's where I want to be. I'm not crazy about traveling and running all over and getting hot and sweaty and being nervous about making flights and coming back more tired than you were when you left, but I am crazy about the kedusha of Eretz Yisrael and the holiness that permeates that country and its people.

2) If you're goal of becoming a lawyer is envisioned and you end up being successful and you marry a guywho also has a full time career, would you everconsider giving up your job to be able to stay home with the children? (note: This is not as sexist as it sounds, my wife has a full time career, and she often wonders if she should give it up and stay home)
I answered a similar question from Classmate-Wearing-Yarmulka, and while I don't think it's sexist, I'm kind of curious about this need to ask ambitious women whether they are going to give up on their dreams eventually, but that's a topic for a different time and possibly a different post. Right now, I do not envision wanting to stay home with my kids; I think it would make me bored and bitter and lazy. I am someone who needs intellectual stimulation to be happy and while I'm sure I will love my kids with all my heart and soul, reading The Cat in the Hat over and over againfor five years straight just does not appeal to me. However, my mother tells me I will feel differently when I have kids, and I would like to keep that oppurtunity open, so I will not say no, and it is definitely something I will at the very least think about when the time comes.

3) What Jewish music are you listening to right now, and if you don't listen to Jewish music, why not?
Well, at the moment I'm not listening to anything due to the Three Weeks. I'm not a tremendous fan of Jewish music. (I think most of it sounds the same and something about a sweaty guy with a beard in a white shirt and black pants jumping up and down on the stage shouting, "Mashiach! Mashiach!" just does not appeal to me. Go figure.) But I do love the song "My Awakening" by Blue Fringe. I think it very accurately describes my Israel experience.

4) Do you like digital watches or watches with the hands better and why?
Watches with hands because they're prettier, and because I don't believe in taking the easy way out.

5) If you were able to choose before you were born, if you wanted to be a Man or a Woman, strictly based on the gender related mitzvahs we each have, which would you choose ... and why?
Hmm. This is a hard one. I think I would choose to be a girl because I have no clue how men get up early to go to shacharit every day and really do not think I could do that, and laining is really scary to me. That said, there are certainly things about being a frum girl that are hard (ahem, tznius in the summer in DC), but I am happy in being able to serve Hashem in the way I do. And hard mitzvot are not necessarily a bad thing. Would my perspective be different if I were a guy? Maybe, but I'm not one of those jealous feminists who think it's unfair that men get all the "fun" mitzvot; men get a lot of especially challenging mitzvot as well. Basically, I really am happy with the place I've been given in this world and can't imagine that changing.

Now the rules again:
1) Leave me a comment saying "interview me please."
2)I will respond by asking you five questions (not the same as above)
3)You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.
4) You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5) When others comment asking to be interviewed you will ask them five questions.

2 Comments:

At 7/30/05, 10:52 PM, Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

What on earth is, lulei demistafina, sexist about asking whether you would give up a career to take care of your children? What on earth is sexist about the answer if the answer is yes?

Also, not all Jewish music is sweaty mashiach dancing. Some of it is highly inspirational psukim from tehillim put to highly depressing dirge-like music.

 
At 8/1/05, 6:51 AM, Blogger Eli7 said...

I just love those dirges...

Nothing would be inherently sexist about asking someone whether he/she would like to stay home and take care of his/her kids. What is (or could be interpreted as) sexist about such a question is that only women get asked it.

Has anyone ever asked you, cloojew, whether you intend to stay home with your kids? I'm guessing not. It is a question reserved for ambitious women who have lofty dreams, and the question is basically: are you going to give up on all of that to stay home with your kids one day?

I don't necessarily think it's sexist and I have my own feelings on raising kids and career goals which I intend to post soon, so stay tuned for more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home