Tuesday, April 19, 2005

My Fave Dvar Torah (And Don't Call Me a Nerd for Having One)

This week's parsha is Acharei Mot, and since my all time favorite dvar Torah applies (and since if I don't take a break from paper-writing my brain might explode), I'll share it with y'all (all 4 of you, though that might be an inflated number). And I know, I know, most normal people don't have a favorite dvar Torah, but c'mon give it (and me) a chance!

The next few parshiot are, sequentially:
Acharei Mot
Kedoshim
Emor
Behar
Bechukoti

This list can be interpreted as follows: If one says acharei mot (after death) kedoshim t'hiyu (we will be holy), emor (say to him) 'behar Sinai (on Mount Sinai) bechukotai (Hashem’s rules were given).' Sorry - this does lose something in the translation (and the transliteration).

It’s very easy to look at the Torah and say that these rules and commandments are holy and spiritual and cannot be meant for this ordinary physical world. But the response to that is that Hashem gave the Torah on Har Sinai, on this physical earth. The Torah is full of ultimately spiritual tasks, but it is meant for this physical world. Mitzvoth cannot just be put off to some time or place when we will be holier and more ready to do them more easily. The Mitzvoth, the Torah were meant to be done in the physical world.

Nuff said. For now, at least.

5 Comments:

At 4/19/05, 9:48 PM, Blogger Keren Perles said...

Nerd? You? Never...

Like the dvar, btw.

Stx

P.S. Following Devorah's lead:

So they're mitzvoth now? A kind of combo? Then why isn't it Acharei Moth?

 
At 4/20/05, 1:28 AM, Blogger Karl said...

Thanks for that. I needed it. I like it too. I think we all should have a fave D.T. - i hope to write mine up some time.

 
At 4/20/05, 7:52 AM, Blogger TRW said...

Thanks.
Like I said on Knifedge, I'm desperately thirsting for words of Torah...I'm in the thick of finals now, so it's either study or clean, study or clean (or occasionally check blogs or post...fine, I have skewed priorities...)
But thanks.

 
At 4/21/05, 1:34 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

I agree Karl, I think we should all have favorite divrei Torah. Hope to see yours soon.

 
At 12/10/05, 6:45 PM, Blogger Karl said...

I know its a bit late in comeing, but I have posted a favorite dvar Torah of mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home