Sunday, April 10, 2005

Longing for High School? Well, Not Quite...

Since I've been back from Israel (two years already!) and have been in a high-pressure, secular environment, my learning has been very different.

I do still maintain chavrusot/s on a semi-regular basis, and I love maintaining them and learning with the various people I learn with and keeping that bit of Torah in my life. But I really only learn in English now and generally learn either halacha or some sort of philosophical/mussar type sefer. I do that because I feel if I don't have that much time to learn, I want to get the most out of my learning. And if that means learning in English so as not to spend half the time breaking my teeth over Hebrew I don't quite understand, then it's worth it. And if that means learning what I will either get the most inspiration from or the most practical useful knowledge from, then that is what I'm going to do.

I mention this because today I was helping my sister with her Chumash paper. So we were learning Hebrew mepharshim in Chumash (hence the fact that it is called a Chumash paper...) and I really enjoyed it. I kind of forgot how enjoyable it is to learn like that. (I guess you never realize how good you had it till it's gone, or "I believe you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye," v'hamayvin ya'vin.)

I certainly never thought I'd say this when I was in high school, but I really do miss that learning. I miss spending half a day studying limudei kodesh, writing papers on the shvatim instead of tyranny of the majority, struggling over Hebrew instead of Nietzche. I miss it. (Not enough to have any interest in going back to high school, mind you. I'm not that crazy.)

6 Comments:

At 4/11/05, 6:53 PM, Blogger Devorah said...

Did you say "chavrusot" instead of chavrutot or chavrusas? Now that's a Michlala-ism if I ever heard one ;-)

 
At 4/11/05, 7:12 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

Yup, that's me: the very epitome of a Michlala girl. Well, not quite, but I try...

 
At 4/13/05, 11:22 AM, Blogger Keren Perles said...

Lol--Good catch, Vora! Hysterical...

And boy do I know this feeling. Yeah, nothing can beat real learning in the original. Artscroll is nice, but banging your head against meforshim until they finally sink in, and just letting the beauty of their Hebrew wash over you...It's an experience like none other.

 
At 4/13/05, 3:54 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

Stx, I think that's what gemara is for guys. But I also do think that it's accessible in Tanach as well if we actually try as hard. And it is in fact beautiful. Who wants to go back to the Mich?

 
At 4/15/05, 7:03 AM, Blogger Keren Perles said...

Whoah--Could you repeat that? *cups hand over ear in surprise* Just one more time?

(Me! Me! Me! *waves hands wildly*)



[I'm * having * too * much fun * with these * aren't i?]

 
At 4/15/05, 7:49 AM, Blogger Eli7 said...

So, let's go Stx. What's stopping us? Okay, don't answer that. But I do think that you don't realize till you've left how good you had it in seminary. At least that's certainly true for this Mich girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home