Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Overheard at the Seder

Family sedarim—and the rest of Pesach—are, well, always interesting with my family...
 
me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
4-year-old brother: Three things: a fireman, policeman, and plumber.
me: A plumber? What do you want to do as a plumber?
4-year-old brother: Plumb things.
[Later, after much incredulity at his career of choice ensued.]
me: What do you want to be when you grow up?
4-year-old brother: Nothing.
me: Well, what are you going to do when you grow up?
4-year-old brother: Sleep all day.
 
--

me: [After hearing the charoset song one too many times] Did you learn any other Pesach songs?
4-year-old brother: Yeah!
me: Can I hear them?
4-year-old brother: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Light up the night! The candles burning bright on this festival of lights ...

--

me: Well, duh.
8-year-old sister: You sound like Michelle.
13-year-old brother: Michelle Obama?
8-year-old sister: No. Michelle from Full House.
 
--
 
16-year-old sister: [In a discussion about how hungry we were at the start of the seder] I just want to get up to the sandwich part because once you start eating sandwiches you can just eat more sandwiches.

--
 
me: [To my wide-awake-at-the-end-of-the-seder 4-year-old brother] When your morah tells you it's nap time, you should tell her that you'll sleep when you're dead.
 
--

21-year-old sister: If Eema kills me, I'm just letting you know it was her so that you can testify to that.
me: What did you do?
21-year-old sister: They [our siblings] may have missed their doctor's appointments because the DMV took a really really really long time. So when i am dead, it was her.
 
--
 
me: [right after yom tov to my 21- and 16-year-old sisters] I'm making coffee. Do you guys want?
8-year-old sister: Can you make for me, too?
4-year-old brother: And me!

2 Comments:

At 4/19/09, 10:00 AM, Blogger Something Different said...

sleep all day??
LOL! Sounds like an ambitious kid.... Better (I guess) than the kid who told me he wants to be a bulldozer when he grows up(!)

 
At 4/20/09, 3:18 PM, Blogger Shira said...

Sounds like an awesome seder!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home