Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hamentaschen or Cookies?

One Sunday morning a year and a half ago, I was sitting in a bookstore/restaurant with a group of interns. They ordered all sorts of brunch items. I ordered a Diet Coke. One intern turned to me and asked why I wasn't ordering any food. "I keep kosher," I explained. To which he responded, "Oh, so you fast on Sundays?"
I was also once asked by a person who knew about shomer negiah why I couldn't eat the very non-kosher pizza if it didn't have meat on it.
All of which is to say that as an Orthodox Jew who grew up on Long Island, I have absolutely no sense of what non-Jews and non-religious Jews know about my religious practices. I find myself using "circumcision" instead of "bris" to rolled eyes but had an editor ask me (not maliciously at all) to travel on Shabbos.

So, this morning when I brought in leftover hamentaschen to work, I offered my co-workers "cookies." Most of them responded with "Ooh, Hamentaschen!"

3 Comments:

At 3/12/09, 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you gave your coworkers hamentaschen but you wouldnt give me any?!?!?

 
At 3/14/09, 8:11 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

If you had been in New York any of the three times I made them, you could have had all the leftovers.

 
At 3/16/09, 10:38 AM, Blogger Scraps said...

Are there any more leftovers?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home