Saturday, June 17, 2006

Summer Reading List

I'm feeling relatively inadequate after finding this list of 1,001 books you should read before you die (or die trying) and realizing that I've read a pathetic 50 of them, give or take. So below is my list of books I'd like to read this summer and books that should be on your list if you haven't read them yet.

Books that I would like to read this summer:

  • Beloved by Toni Morrison
  • Underworld by Don DeLillo
  • Rabbit Angsrom: The Four Novels by John Updike
  • American Pastoral by Philip Roth
  • The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
  • The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
  • Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
  • Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
  • Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
  • Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner

Books that should be on your summer reading list if you haven't read them yet:

  • The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
  • Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
  • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell
  • Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
  • Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
  • The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

3 Comments:

At 6/19/06, 6:53 AM, Blogger Scraps said...

Wow...you're doing better than I am, I only read about 33 of them. And very few of those were not for school, either.

Guess I'd better get started...

 
At 6/20/06, 9:26 AM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I am not a reader I don't want to even look at the list I probably read way less than you. I assure you that you will be fine without reading anywhere near that amount of books.

 
At 6/21/06, 9:48 AM, Blogger bamidbarminbar said...

i might take you up on one or two of those - thanks for the recommendations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home