Thursday, June 15, 2006

Big City Dreamin': New York, New York!

"I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap ...
If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere"

I miss New York, land of the minions of kosher restaurants and 24-hour supermarkets. Filthy city that makes no apologies for itself. City that truly never sleeps, filled with people who seemingly never sleep. Dirty looks given to awestruck tourists who dilly-dally instead of moving briskly down the street. Land of awful driving, insane honking, and a public transportation system that's everywhere you want to be (for a flat fare that doesn't require swiping when you get out).

I miss the huge city that I'm only beginning to learn my way around and that I have not even come close to taking advantage of. That place where I have almost learned to feel confident in myself.

I miss that small college campus on the brink of Harlem where I have learned to love so many things I never thought I would and where I have done so many things I never thought I'd have the guts to do. I miss 5 a.m. Shabbat grocery shopping, 3 a.m. Trivial Pursuit, and sleeping to noon before 2 p.m. class. The sacred selfishness of knowing you have no responsibilities to anyone but yourself.

I miss seeing black hats and shtreimels rushing to minyan amid the suited lawyers rushing to work and the jeans- and flip-flops-clad students with nowhere to rush to. The diversity of a place where anything truly goes and where people don't have to be afraid to be themselves. A place where you sometimes wonder if fear even exists.

I miss the only truly big city. One of the only places where I can feel at home. The place where I am most proud of and confident in myself. The place that has taught me to have delusions of grandeur.

2 Comments:

At 6/15/06, 5:31 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Seeing your last post, methinks there's a connection. Don't see it? New York gruffness, going by your daily life ignoring the bystander...it's the NY mentality. Doesn't really encourage empathy. It creates an isolated mentality.

The solution? It's not giving up the kosher restaurants! But we can't lose sight of the compassionate Middos that the Torah calls us too. Never look past somebody around you. I think you have a smile that can spread hope in all situations. So miss the city, but don't be afraid to learn new things from new places.

And most importantly, if you need a place for Shabbos, I have a lot of friends there (in law school...).

 
At 6/16/06, 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont feel bad...dc is sorta like ny....I am stuck in arizona....its NOTHING like ny...trust me on that....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home