Saturday, May 27, 2006

Dorky Quote of the Day

OK, so clearly I'm a huge, huge dork, but I've been reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves, which if you don't know, is a book about grammar and punctuation. But it's funny. Really. Stop giving me strange looks. It is.

Anyhow, quote of the day comes from there:

"In the family of punctuation, where the ... [period] is daddy and the comma is mummy, and the semicolon quietly practises the piano with crossed hands, the exclamation mark is the big attention-defecit brother who gets over-excited and breaks things and laughs too loudly."


Come on, you know it's funny. In a dorky way, perhaps, but funny. At least I think it is.

5 Comments:

At 5/27/06, 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny, indeed! Come to think of it, I would have been inclined to say that the period was the mother (perhaps in honor of a woman's "monthly period").

 
At 5/27/06, 10:00 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Why does the semicolon have to be the one only quietly practicing piano with crossed hands?

I thought you were a semicolon fan? How can you let this gross injustice stand?

 
At 5/28/06, 2:37 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

I do love semicolons, but they're pretty academic and nerdy as punctuation marks go.

And Craig, among other things, the book is in British English where the period is called the full-stop.

 
At 5/28/06, 2:53 PM, Blogger Michael said...

...And, if my memory serves me correctly, where the "!" is called an "exclamation mark" instead of the American "exclamation point."

It's a great book - glad you enjoyed.

 
At 5/30/06, 12:43 PM, Blogger tinablue87 said...

It's just a wonderful book-yay for the dorks!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home