Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Million Little Untruths ... So What?

So, I think I sorta missed the explosion of the James Frey thing in the blogosphere since I've been in hibernation minus the sleep for the past few weeks, but I really don't understand what the whole to-do is about.

I read A Million Little Pieces and I found it compelling as a literary work, regardless of whether or not it was true. It may not be up there with the books I read in Lit Hum, but the writing was moving, if experimental. I didn't finish the book inspired, I finished the book moved by good writing, by writing that had the power to move me, if that makes any sense.

And for me, that's all I need in a book. I don't care if the cover says it's a memoir or not. To a certain extent we all create our own realities and any memoir any of us would write would be filled with inaccuracies and embellishments. But f the writing is good and the story is compelling, that's enough for me.

I firmly believe that the value of a literary work rests in whether it changes you. If you read a book and remain the same person you were before you read it, then that book is worthless. A book is only meaningful when it means something to you, when it changes you, when it becomes a part of you, when it makes you ask questions. It doesn't matter whether the work is true or not.

6 Comments:

At 2/1/06, 12:56 PM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

The guy flat out lied. End of story.

 
At 2/1/06, 1:59 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

CWY, I'm not contesting that, but so what?

 
At 2/1/06, 3:46 PM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

Then market it as fiction. I've got a problem with people who portray lies as the truth.

 
At 2/2/06, 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto to CWY. It's not a memoir if it's a lie; it's fiction.

 
At 2/6/06, 6:57 AM, Blogger Josh said...

I think the fact that he lied should be taken out on the author, not the book. We can separate the two. If you enjoy the book as a work of fiction, great. But I would be hesitant to believe this guy in the future.

Now, Oprah on the other hand...

 
At 2/6/06, 2:44 PM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

I hear its a great book - really inspirational... I think I am going to read it and I know its a fiction!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home