Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The One in the Middle Is the Green Kangaroo

I don't have a room in my house. Somebody I told this to recently was dismayed, after all I technically live at home, don't I? Well, kinda. I'm pretty sure that I haven't been home for much more than about three weeks straight since last summer. I live in my dorm during the school year, I live in DC for the summer. I'm in a really strange position where my family is concerned; I am not a child anymore and I don't really live at home, but I am not an adult yet and home is still my parent's house. I am not completely independent yet, but at the same time I am not completely dependent anymore, and I don't like being dependent.

Funny thing is that this whole phase of life is a somewhat recent phenomenon. Historically, people moved from their parent's home to their own home when they got married, and that was it. One day they were completely dependent on their parents and the next day they had a wedding ring and independence. But now we have this very strange middle ground.

I do sort of like being independent and completely without commitments of any kind, and in that sense, I like where I'm at, but sometimes it's kinda confusing to figure out where that is. Sometimes I feel like I'm smack in the middle of a transition, and that's a pretty rough place to be.

4 Comments:

At 8/9/05, 2:13 PM, Blogger Desconjumina said...

just looking around.

 
At 8/9/05, 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you got a neat blog here! I've already bookmarked it.

I have a Bathroom Ceiling Fan Heater site/blog. It covers all Bathroom Ceiling Fan Heater related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 8/10/05, 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being in limbo is not a good feeling.

 
At 9/19/05, 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just moved into a college dorm in Chicago. My family lives in the neighborhood but self-imposed exile seemed the best way to learn independance. I still go home every shabbos, which is great, but it leaves me feeling like a floater with two beds and an overnight bag that shuttles back and forth with me. Any suggestions?They'd be much appreciated. Love the site!
Sophmore(almost)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home