Monday, April 27, 2009

It's 'The Newspaper Stresses Me Out' Day

I'm a big believer in newspapers and reading them and all, but this morning's viewing left me doubting the wisdom of doing so. This is what I learned upon perusal of today's press:
 
"Graduate education is the Detroit of higher learning." Which is, obviously, not particularly complimentary about my next life step. All I can say is, at least I'm not moving to Detroit.
 
In an article urging young women to marry now, "[W]omen's 'market value' declines steadily as they age." And I didn't even know I had a market value. Do you think my parents can get two goats and some sheep for me?
 
PortfolioConde Nast's business magazine—dies.
 
And, finally, soda is even worse for you than I thought. That's right, it is so potent that jewelers use it to separate gold from teeth. I can just get my caffeine exclusively from coffee. 
 
I'm reminded of the quote: "I always turn to the sports section first. The sports section records people's accomplishments; the front page nothing but man's failures." Maybe I should start reading the sports section. It would probably not stress me out as much.

3 Comments:

At 4/29/09, 2:33 PM, Blogger bopbeeboop said...

Do you disagree w/the substance of the WaPo marriage piece? If so, is your rebuttal stronger than the one that was published?

 
At 4/30/09, 9:05 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

I don't know which rebuttal you're talking about. Can you point me to it?

My response in general when someone asks me when I want to get married is, "When I find the right guy," which seems to make sense. I think an article that encourages young people to get married seems inherently flawed. There's no "right age" to get married.

But also, I don't think he gave a good reason--that it's better financially? Pardon? He says that somehow it leads to a better society but doesn't really explain how, especially considering that people who get married younger are more likely to get divorced.

In short, I didn't really understand what argument he was trying to make for people getting married earlier.

 
At 5/5/09, 8:04 AM, Blogger Shira said...

Hey! Detroit's a nice place! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home