Thursday, November 15, 2007

On Settling and Passion

My mother, last night, told me, essentially, that I have to settle. It wasn't quite like that, but she told me I should stay in my current job for as long as possible because the pay is good and the benefits are good. (This spurred by the news that, come the new year, I will have dental insurance and vision insurance. I didn't even know I didn't have vision insurance.)

And my mother's right. (I don't say that very often, so you might want to take note.) The pay is good, the insurance is very good, the hours (for a copy editor) are good, and the work is good.

But. It is not amazing. It is not the place I want to stay forever. I enjoy what I do, but it doesn't fulfill me. I like the job, but I don't love it. And I just can't imagine spending my entire life, or even a few years, at a job that I don't love.

I'm too young to settle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home