Monday, July 03, 2006

If You Can't Beat the Tourists, Join 'Em


I hate tourists. I hate them in NYC where they stand in the middle of Midtown, necks craned, staring in awe at the Empire State Building and blocking your way to wherever you're going. I hate them in DC where they stand on the wrong side of the escalator on the Metro and slow your commute.

I say this because tomorrow I am going to be a tourist. I am going to do all the Fourth of July tourist-y things just because I can. Because I'm here. I'll go to hear the reading of the Declaration of Independence at the National Archives, I'll have a barbecue, I'll camp out on the National Mall and watch the fireworks. I'll end the day hot and sweaty and gross and will say that I'll never do it again. I will probably provoke scorn or pity or laughter and teasing from the real DCers.

For once, I will be a tourist. But day after that, I go back to hating them.

1 Comments:

At 7/5/06, 8:40 AM, Blogger Michael said...

While I think that Macy's fireworks in NYC are vastly superior to those in DC, there is something to celebrating the nation's 230th birthday in the nation's capital. The sound of exploding fireworks reminded me of "the bombs bursting in air" as I stood near the White House - you won't get that in NY. In Freedom Plaza, across from the National Theater, a group of guys on skateboards lit sparklers and some fireworks of their own and were jumping through the sparks - seemed like something people would do in Union Sq. Park if such things were legal in NY.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home