Saturday, September 03, 2005

Anyone Up for a Shiva Call for the Chief Justice?

Otherwise known as my father has a weird way of breaking important news to me.

My Dad: I just wanted to know if you were going to pay a shiva call?
Me: (a little panicked) Why? Who died?
My Dad: Rhenquist
Me: (in one of my more profound moments) Oh! Really?

And a second later upon realizing what that means politically, I added some choice words for our current president and the current political situation. Ahh well, I s'pose we all knew it was coming despite denial.

Baruch dayan emet.

5 Comments:

At 9/4/05, 8:55 AM, Blogger Michael said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9/4/05, 8:56 AM, Blogger Michael said...

And a second later[,] upon realizing what that means politically
The filibuster/nuclear option being brought back to the Senate chamber? A compromise on O'Connor's replacement (Roberts) but a strict interpreter to replace Rehnquist a la Scalia/Thomas?

He was universally respected, to the point that even Schumer was praising him this morning. I doubt his replacement will be similarly respected.

Ahh well, I s'pose we all knew it was coming despite denial.
When speaking to reporters last month, he said that the date of his retirement was "for me to know and you to find out." Looks like it was for G-d to know and him to find out! The Yiddish saying "Man tracht v'G-t lacht/Man plans and G-d laughs" comes to mind.

 
At 9/4/05, 10:17 AM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

>I doubt his replacement will be similarly respected.


The praise and respect wasn't there when he was nominated to be chief justice...

It's just that it's poor taste, even for Democrats, to bash someone 1 day after he died.

 
At 9/4/05, 2:02 PM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

My mistake, it only 3 hours for Allen Dershowitz (a man I admire for his support of Israel, but little else) to call Rhenquist a thug.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110007210

 
At 9/5/05, 10:15 AM, Blogger Nephtuli said...

Dershowitz hates Rehnquist. No idea why, but he really ripped into him in Dershowitz's book on the 2000 election.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home