Friday, May 08, 2009

Deep Thoughts: The Mother's Day Edition

More like lots of links. Not so many thoughts. But, hey, my computer is dead, and I haven't had a nervous breakdown yet. I think I deserve some serious applause.

  • Meghan McCain writes an article that doesn't make me want to pull out my hair, revoke her Columbia degree, and scream, "Girls can be smart and care about things other than shoes." (I like shoes as much as—if not more than—the next girl, but if I got to meet Henry Kissinger and then blogged about it, probably I would have something more intelligent to offer than a picture of his shoes.) This from her article:
Unfortunately, Republicans typically don't like to discuss or deal with things they think are wrong or immoral. And that's a huge mistake. If we can't discuss birth control in addition to abstinence, and in a nonjudgmental way, kids will continue to make bad choices for lack of having access to informed, safe options.
  • Gail Collins on shoes and feminism: "There was one minute back in the late 1960s when the women's movement tried to convince everyone that being liberated involved wearing sensible shoes. It was not a success." I can be equal to men even with blisters on my feet, thank you very much. (There's much to say about the Supreme Court, Souter's exit, and women, but I will save that for another post.)
  •  Add this to the list of "Ways in which mothers terrify other women about having children." Seriously, it's a wonder that women have children after hearing these stories. In other news, Happy early Mother's Day.
"I asked them to shoot me like a wounded horse at least twice. ... Those women who say they forget the pain after it's over? Not me. I will never forget that pain. I actively try not to forget. But I'm also not fool enough to think I can ever describe it in words, except to say that you are carried away to a different plane of being."
  • Klingon: It's an entire language. It "sounds like an ungodly combination of Hindi, Arabic, Tlingit, and Yiddish and works like a mix of Japanese, Turkish, and Mohawk"
  • An article on toilet paper and the recession. Yes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home