Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Be There for Me

Disclaimer: This post is not about anyone who reads this blog. So, no guilty consciences, k?

Relationships are two-way streets. I will be a loyal, trustworthy friend. I will do anything for you. I will be there for you -- if you're there for me too (sorry, sorry, I had to do it).

You come prancing over to a miserable me (who is miserable because of you) and ask me a favor and just expect me to say yes when I can barely remember the last nice, caring thing you did for me. And then I feel like an awful person when I say no (argh, Jewish guilt) and I get mad at you for asking and you get mad at me for saying no and nobody's happy. But every time I ask for something, I am ungrateful. I expect too much from you.

That is not how relationships work. That is not how I work. When I need you, you are far away and everything comes with a steep price, but you think I'm being unfair if I refuse you anything.

Care about me as a person. Take an interest in who I am and who I've become. Cultivate a relationship with me. Because until then I'm not doing you any favors.

2 Comments:

At 8/17/06, 8:51 AM, Blogger Scraps said...

Wow...I wonder if we're friends with the same person/people.

[sigh]

 
At 8/17/06, 10:35 AM, Blogger Devorah said...

scraps - I get the feeling this is not actually about a friend...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home