Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I'm a Philosophy Major - I Can Think Deep Thoughts About Being Unemployed

"Perhaps, indeed, like Prince Hamlet, we are born to set things right, but we do that, or try to do it, by making arguments, not by summoning up armies."

I'm a political theory major, which means I'm one of the few who care to philosophize about politics - to study what should be as opposed to what is.

This opens me up for a lot of criticism by the more cynical of people. And maybe I am just a crazy liberal, but I think we all do ourselves injustice if we insist that the cynic is the one who sees the world for what it is.

Can we in fact set things right by making arguments? I don't know, but I do know that we will never set things right by summoning up armies. We can never have a better world if we refuse to dream it. The world won't change if we don't think it can.

The world might not be all rainbows and sunshine, but the cynic is not the one who sees it as such, he is the one who makes it so.

3 Comments:

At 9/28/05, 7:10 PM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

>I don't know, but I do know that we will never set things right by summoning up armies.

So I'm guessing that things weren't set right by, I don't know, the Civil War? U.S. participation in World War 2? Afghanistan?

How about the 6 day war?

 
At 9/28/05, 7:13 PM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

And yes you are crazy liberal. The cynic doesn't create human tendancies, he merely conforms his world view around them.

The liberal believes that with just a little more government and love, those tendancies would change.

Not a chance.

 
At 9/28/05, 9:26 PM, Blogger Nephtuli said...

Richard Posner has argued in the past that what you do is pretty much pointless because people's moral values usually come from intuitions and not arguments. But, hey, it never hurts to dream....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home