Monday, August 15, 2005

Disengagment = the Death of Zionism

I saw an article (guess where) recently about how the Disengagment is proof of Zionism's failure, because the vast majority of worldwide Jewry did not up and move to Israel and fill the land and build up the settlements, and therefore the settlememnts can be evacuated.

"Ideologically, we are disappointed. A pure Zionist must be disappointed because Zionism meant the Jews of the world would take their baggage and move to Israel. Most did not."

AndI do firmly believe that very many of the people who are gung ho on working for Israel and going to rallies and donating milllions of dollars, do it at least partially out of guilt becuase they know they should be in Israel but are not there. Now this is not to say that I don't think that they should be lauded for what they do, many of these people do great work, but that does not change the fact that they are fighting for a land they choose not to live in.

That said, I am still very much in America right now. And I'm not exactly sure I agree with the article's proposition that the Disengagment plan indicates the failure of the settlements which indicates the failure of Zionism, but I think there is some truth to the claim.

There is something wrong with Zionism if people the world over are willing to call themselves Zionists but not move to Israel. I'm not saying there are never any good excuses, but I doubt that every Jew in the Diaspora who calls himself a Zionist has a valid excuse not to be in Zion. And maybe that is the utter failure of Zionism.

5 Comments:

At 8/15/05, 8:19 PM, Blogger Nephtuli said...

Eli, I disagree.

Zionism was never about getting all the Jews around the world to come to Israel. And while settling the land was a part of Zionism, it never was the primary purpose, but only a means to an end.

Political Zionism was about getting a Jewish homeland for Jews, so they can feel safe and not be subject to the whims of the gentiles. Zionism is an unbelievable success on that ground.

Obviously this is simplistic, but that's the basic point.

 
At 8/16/05, 5:52 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

I do hear what you're saying Nephtuli, and the definition of Zionism was the article's definition not mine, but what's the point of having a Jewish homeland if we all choose not to live there?

I mean doesn't that seem both counter-productive and counter-intuitive? Do all ethnicities get a special place to go just in case they might be discriminated against at some time in the semi-near future? Or are we just special?

 
At 8/16/05, 7:44 PM, Blogger Nephtuli said...

In every country there are people who emigrate to other countries. Israel is unique in that it was created as a place for Jewish people to go. And we have a critical mass of people there to sustain a state. But there's no obligation for everyone to move there any more than every Frenchman is obligated to live in France for it to be a country.

Ideally maybe every Jew should move there. But it's not like there are no Jews there.

 
At 8/18/05, 2:32 AM, Blogger TRK said...

when are you going eli?

 
At 8/21/05, 10:15 AM, Blogger Eli7 said...

TRK, when a brilliant guy sweeps me off my feet and I finish my undergrad work at Columbia, so I can hang my Latin degree (Columbia diplomas are in Latin, I don't know why) which I won't be able to understand in our tiny apartment in Yerushalayim where it will do me no good but will be a pretty wall decoration. ;)

Nephtuli, I agree that no Jew is obligated to move to Israel, but I don't know why someone who considers himself a Zionist would not live in Israel if he had a choice - that is a contradiction in terms.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home