Monday, May 30, 2005

And They Say New Yorkers Aren't Nice

On Friday I left THE city (well, really I left suburbia where I live, but...) for the summer ... with, well, with enough shoes and clothing to last me the entire summer. And if you know me, you know that that's a lot of stuff. Let's just say packing was not pretty.

So, I left my house lugging a huge duffel and a couple assorted smaller - but by no means small - bags. My father, after laughing at the sight of all the stuff I was going to have to get to Washington, put me on the subway, but then I was on my own.

When I needed to get off the subway, a woman who wasn't even getting off helped me get the duffel off. I lugged the bags up a ramp and while just standing there wondering how I was going to get any further, a woman and her son came by and asked if I needed help. (To which I replied emphatically in the postive.) I then lugged my bags a bit further by myself, amid other offers of assistance, and finally reached my friends who travelled with me and helped me.

But the point is that New Yorkers are a helpful breed, and I could not have gotten where I needed to go without the help of many, many strangers.

3 Comments:

At 5/30/05, 5:55 PM, Blogger Karl said...

Despite what people say, I found that to be true as well, the last time I was there.

 
At 5/31/05, 7:30 AM, Blogger TRK said...

they are more helpful than Londoners, Karl!

 
At 5/31/05, 9:18 PM, Blogger Keren Perles said...

Eli7, you've been tagged! Have fun with it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home