Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Shtus!

I am not a sheltered person who has never watched a movie or been exposed to the big, dirty secular world. I have been exposed to plenty, probably more than I would like to admit. And I do not pretend that the Orthodox world is free of anything that I've been exposed to. And I am both a proponent of free speech and recognize the value in blogging as a conduit for expression that may not have another venue.

That said (and that was one whopping disclaimer), I am really unimpressed by some of the things I've found floating around in the Olam HaBlog. Call me an unsupecting observer, call me a prude, but there are things I just don't want to hear about and that I don't expect to find on frum blogs.

I recognize that one of the most appealing parts of blogging is the ability to state one's opinions and experiences in anonymity without fear of stigma or retribution of any kind. And I realize how valuable it is to have a mode of expression. I also realize that many things that have long been considered taboo within the Orthodox community because they made for unsavory shabbos table discussions need to be discussed and talked about in order to effect social change that is so necessary in our community.

But, people, fellow bloggers, there are certain things that have remained taboo within the frum community for good reason, and there are things I just don't want to know. I don't want to know about someone's sexual frustrations. I don't want to know about people's sex lives, period. In Orthodox Judaism - very much unlike the rest of today's society - sex is a private, sacred act between man and wife, and quite frankly, we should leave it there.

Now, perhaps, all you bloggers out there say this is my problem and I shouldn't look, and I certainly don't deny anyone the ability to say or post whatever they want, but I just feel a need for one exclamation: the shtus!!

There, I'm done. Continue blogging whatever you'd like wherever you want whenever you want (as I'm sure you will). I said what I had to say. I'm done.

6 Comments:

At 3/31/05, 3:09 PM, Blogger EN said...

Your 100% right. (Spoken like a true law student;) (Parenthetically, why the name grand delusions - any connection to schizophrenia? And while I'm asking you questions, do you find your school experiences like scott turrow in the book "One L"?)

 
At 3/31/05, 3:55 PM, Blogger Karl said...

As it says in Gemora Yevamos (79a), where it enumerates three qualities that are inherent to the Jewish people. We are rachmanim (merciful), bayshonim (humbly dignified), and gomlei chasodim (we perform acts of loving-kindness).
This is obviously a general rule and there are some people who dont fall into this, but just think of all the millions who dont blog at all!

 
At 4/1/05, 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There, I'm done. Continue blogging whatever you'd like wherever you want whenever you want (as I'm sure you will). I said what I had to say. I'm done."

one sec, does that mean you're finished blogging? I hope not.

 
At 4/1/05, 12:56 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

Nope, I'm not finished blogging, just finished criticizing other bloggers (for at least a lil bit...)

EN, I'm not a law student yet so can't tell you much about the law school experience. And my blog name, Delusions of Grandeur, is a reference to a line from a song.

 
At 4/1/05, 2:00 PM, Blogger Chaim said...

I agree, in the past couple weeks, it's exploded onto the scene huge, althought it's always been there to some degree, i suppose it will die down again though.

 
At 4/2/05, 6:12 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

It's true - it's always been there and probably always will be, but it has defintely become a lot harder to avoid more recently. I hope you're right that it will die down some time soon because I am getting frustrated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home