Friday, March 04, 2005

Marriage and Toilets

"Very few spaces in our society remain divided by sex," Professor Case said. "There's marriage and there's toilets, and very little else." This, umm, interesting quote from A NY Times article on People in Search of Safe (read: gender neutral) Restrooms.

I'm not sure what to comment on but I found it kinda funny (I snorted when I read it and you missed it Stx) and a little bit sad. Clearly I am no fan of sexual discrimination, but women and men ARE different, and you can't change that by changing the law - or changing the signs on restrooms.

3 Comments:

At 3/5/05, 10:47 PM, Blogger Keren Perles said...

Speaking of marriage, look what I found!

http://www.uglydress.com/fusciatwins.html

Thought you'd appreciate...

 
At 3/6/05, 8:24 AM, Blogger Eli7 said...

I agree with both of you: gender nuetral bathrooms are a bad idea (and at least in co-ed dorming here they don't exist), and putting marriage and toilets in the same sentence is a bad thing. Though if it were up to this professor I don't think these last two vestiges of seperation would remain too long either. And I'm not sure he considers the seperation a kavod at all...

 
At 3/8/05, 9:10 AM, Blogger Devorah said...

First off, Shkoyach to Stx for the link. You beat be to the punch again.
Second, I've actually been to malls in Florida where they have 3 types of bathrooms all next to each other: men, women, and unisex. Now don't confuse "unisex" with those "family bathrooms" they have at airports. Trust me, 'twas disturbing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home