Monday, February 21, 2005

The Flip-Side of the Cap

From a frum boy in my class: "Doing drugs is a bonding experience."

Now, I know he said it partially tongue-in-cheek and I have no clue what his real beliefs are but did a frum boy really need to say such a thing?

Although he does wear a baseball cap to class so maybe nobody could tell he's frum. Hmmm. Guys wearing baseball caps instead of yarmulkas in a place like Columbia has always irked me, but maybe this is the flip-side of the coin; when frum boys do something stupid they can't make a chilul Hashem because it's not obvious they're Jewish. Hmmm.

3 Comments:

At 2/21/05, 6:02 PM, Blogger EN said...

Right on the mark!

 
At 2/21/05, 7:29 PM, Blogger Keren Perles said...

Yeah. Sometimes I wish certain people wouldn't identify themselves so readily as frum...

(Read: A guy in my class last semester who transformed. Made me very sad and cynical. Hence, I could write a comment like the one below.)

 
At 2/22/05, 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can always tell if guys are frum - they are the ones trying to hide it by wearing baseball caps! It is so obvious so why try and hide it, I know guys there with beards and peyos - stick out like a sore thumb. You cant always stop others making a chillul Hashem, but you can always make a kiddush Hashem. Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home