Saturday, February 19, 2005

Just to Clear the Record, Mr. Keller

I just came back from a speech given by Bill Keller, the executive editor of THE paper. I know it's not perfect but I do absolutely love the NY Times. The speech was all fun and games - he made fun of Bush, Republicans, Harvard, college students desperate for jobs (specifically jobs at his paper), college students desperate for alcohol... It was beautiful. Except that he spent most of the speech basically ranting about blogs and how now anyone with a computer can claim he's a journalist, and how that is currently posing a threat for "real" journalists. (Though l'havdil I would never compare the illustrious times to the slightly less lauded YU Commentator, a similar sentiment was expressed in The Commentator a couple of months ago.)

So just to clear the record for when I submit my unimpressive resume to the best paper ever at some point in the distant future (or at some point in my dreams), this is not journalism. If you are in fact looking for news, I would direct you to the Times, or even some other favorites. I am not pretending to be a journalist. This is my life and these posts are my rants, opinions, boring information. Take it or leave it.

4 Comments:

At 2/21/05, 2:49 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

I'm with you on the status of blogs though he made it pretty clear that he didn't think anything - even the terrible threat of blogs - would sink the Times...

 
At 2/22/05, 12:26 PM, Blogger Devorah said...

Are you, gasp, dissing the Commie! C'mon Eli7, you know that's my shtick ;-)

 
At 2/22/05, 3:01 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

You mean it would be your shtick were you blogging...

AND Columbians like nothing more than dissing both Barnard and YU, so...

 
At 2/22/05, 6:17 PM, Blogger TRW said...

I wouldn't say that newspapers are such accurate sources of news either, sadly enough...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home