Monday, August 04, 2008

Bookshelf Lust, Take Two


A reading list to go with the beautiful bookcase:

  • Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin(Currently in my bag. It's like 750 pages, so my shoulder is currently sore, but it is excellent thus far.)
  • Deciding What's News by Herbert J. Gans (On my bookshelf. This one is so I can convince ridiculously selective grad schools to take me.)
  • Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (Because I've never read Rushdie, but should.)
  • Devil in the White City (On my bed, but unopened.)
  • The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Started this like two years ago and then got distracted. Also, the Russian names trip me up.)
  • Leaves of Faith by Rav Aharon Lichtenstein (Currently reading, but slowly. Reading takes much longer when you need to really think--and look up words in the dictionary.)
  • Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (On my shelf. Started it and never finished. I think I just don't like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but I wish I did.)
  • Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino (Left over from a previous reading list. Should get on that)
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (Ditto.)
  • The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (This has been on my mental to-read list for forever.)
  • The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (My grandmother keeps telling me this is the most fantastic book ever. My aunt says it's the most depressing book ever. I should read it and take a side.)

Books you should read if you haven't yet:
  • Beloved by Toni Morrison (Selected as the best book of the past 25 years by the NY Times.)
  • The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
  • Oscar and Lucinda by Peter Carey (I received it as a gift from two wonderful friends. Probably the best book I read in the last year.)
  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov
  • Oracle Night by Paul Aster
  • The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
  • The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro
  • You Shall Know Our Velocity by Dave Eggers
  • All the President's Men by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein (Just because.)

2 Comments:

At 8/4/08, 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with your choice of bookshelf: it won't look as nice once it is filled with books. the whole design is based on a black and white contrast forming positive and negative space. Still, it's nice to see that you have branched out from lusting shoes to lusting furniture too.

 
At 8/7/08, 9:27 PM, Blogger Kul Tora said...

Eli7, I need a good book recommendation. I want to read an autobiography of preferably someone who came from a difficult background and accomplished a lot in their life - and also writes with great proficiency / command over the english language (expresses their ideas in a well-formulated, poignant way).

Someone suggested Nehru - any ideas yourself?
thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home