Tuesday, July 05, 2005

I May Be Small, But I don't Fit in a Box

This from an article in the Times Magazine:

"When people ask me where I am from, I say I am Persian, born in Iran. I write and dream in English, I curse in Spanish and, after a few pints of Guinness, I dance a mighty Irish jig. And when people ask me where I live, I tell them Brooklyn is my home."

I like this quote because it's eloquent, but also because it captures so well what people are all about. We so often try to fit into boxes - Michlala girl, New Yorker, Ivy League student, liberated woman, we all have our shtick - that we lose sight of the fact that we are individuals melded together from all our different experiences and we don't fit into boxes. You cannot figure out who a person is with a label or two, with a description of where she's been or what she's doing, with a few details. People are complicated beings. Embrace your individuality; don't live by someone else's rules.

1 Comments:

At 7/6/05, 3:48 PM, Blogger Karl said...

I totally agree.
Altogether now, "We're all individuals."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home