Thursday, June 09, 2005

If You Can't Live Without a Pedicure, You Shouldn't Have a Baby

"Mother's love grows by giving."

I believe that at least a part of motherhood is about self-sacrifice, it's about giving of yourself, giving all of yourself, to someone else. (Now maybe I'm just waxing poetic, and motherhood is nothing of the sort, but indulge my romanticism just for a bit. This is my blog after all.)

Having said that, I find this thouroughly revolting. I'm sorry, I am not going to pity the mother that has to make time for her baby over a pedicure. Sorry, that's the way life is. And I am not going to pity the mothers who feel so stressed out taking care of their little bundle of joy with the help of a nanny that they need to build their own private chic clubs to feel better about themselves.

Motherhood is not supoposed to be easy, nor is it supposed to be all fun and games. Rav Dessler says that love is giving (loosley paraphrased). You develop love for someone by giving to him or her, not by luxuriating in a spa while your one-and-a-half year old takes lessons in Italian.

3 Comments:

At 6/9/05, 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In an age when mothers struggle to nurture their children's happiness and accelerated development while at the same time remaining socially viable and a size 4..."

absolutely pathetic.

 
At 6/10/05, 7:26 AM, Blogger Chaim said...

you sure do read a lot of NY Times :-)

 
At 6/11/05, 10:02 PM, Blogger Keren Perles said...

How pathetic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home