Saturday, July 09, 2005

Frum Girl and the Foreign Film (Two Things That Should Not Go Together)

Someone I work with asked me if I wanted to go see a foreign film about a failed relationship with her. I said ok. Big mistake.

Let's just say that I've seen rated R movies. I've watched more TV than I'd like to admit. I've seen many things that I probably should not have seen. But none of that was anywhere close to as graphic as this French film that we saw. It was so graphic that it was traumatic for me. So, so graphic.

I was upset that I was exposed to this, upset that such things are filmed, upset that actors and actresses are willing to do these things, upset that anyone over the age of 17 can get into the theater to see such things, but most of all upset at myself.

True, I had been naive in thinking that this movie would be appropriate, but even after I saw that it was clearly not appropriate, I stayed. I shielded my eyes from the really bad stuff, but I stayed. I was too ashamed to walk out in front of a friend, so instead I stayed in the dark theater, dirtying my mind, and feeling like a hypocrite in my long skirt and long sleeves watching such things on a screen.

What is wrong with the world? What is wrong with me?

9 Comments:

At 7/9/05, 8:31 PM, Blogger TRW said...

I can sympathise. Except for me it was mandatory, for a class. I did skip the one that they allowed us to skip if "we were offended by extreme sexuality", but that was after I was seriously offended by the 'tamer' ones.

Yuck.

 
At 7/10/05, 5:49 AM, Blogger Chaim said...

On Friday's, since shabbos is so late, my wife watches Oprah. Innocent enough right? .... Wrong...Oprah had on a Female TV star who was demonstrating her new yoga-type exercise class she attends. Which (by her own admission) was just 45 minutes of reenacting a person whose job revolves around a pole, if you know what I mean, (and I don't mean a firefighter)

The women were all clapping and laughing, and she got Oprah to try it also. She's like, come on it's fun. Someone said, it's just exercising, what's the big deal .. well, ya, but I'm quite sure that's how they exercised in Sodom and Gemorah as well.

We really have hit some all time low's with regards to this topic.

 
At 7/10/05, 6:19 AM, Blogger Karl said...

You should know that when they say foreign, they mean its so low class that its not even mainstream American movies show that kind of thing. The only way it becomes main stream is to call it a "documentary" or becuse its "foreign" it must be culturally acceptable.
Plus, they maybe some things about the French that no one ever told you...
There is little TV or movies that are appropriate any more.

 
At 7/10/05, 5:38 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

You're all right in the sense that almost nothing is actually appropriate and acceptable anymore. Some of the things my younger siblings know is disturbing, and what they see on TV is pretty bad.

It makes you think about the depths society has sunk to that these things are even deemed appropriate for adults, let alone children to watch.

 
At 7/10/05, 11:58 PM, Blogger Jewish Atheist said...

Obviously, you're in the minority with what you believe is immoral or "too low." Have you considered that maybe it's not the rest of the world who's wrong, but you? Or at least that you just have different standards?

Nudity never hurt anybody.

 
At 7/11/05, 7:14 AM, Blogger Chaim said...

Jewish Ath-I think your barking up the wrong blog here. I also think your more in the minority than you think. People more and more are waking up to the fact that things have reached all time lows everywhere. I predict a real awakening in the world with regards to spirituality over the next 20 years. I think many people think it's wrong, but don't want to speak up, cause it's everywhere. Mainly pout out there by Hollywood executives who know that sex sells, and prey on people's weaknesses.

 
At 7/11/05, 1:01 PM, Blogger TRW said...

"Nudity never hurt anybody"

Except turning people from thinking beings into objects, praised only for their outer shell.

 
At 7/11/05, 1:51 PM, Blogger Keren Perles said...

TRW--Here here!

And Anon, LoR's right--You're barking up the wrong blog (I like that one, LoR!)

 
At 7/13/05, 5:00 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

Jewish Atheist, I agree with LoR and TRW and don't have that much to add except this:

I believe our bodies are beautiful because Hashem gave them to us. But I also believe that showing them off completely to the outside world cheapens their beauty and cheapens us and makes them less special.

Nudity is not harmless, and if the rest of the world wants to think it is, then kol hakavod to them, but I'm not buying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home