Saturday, December 16, 2006

Parental Approval or Lack Thereof, Part I

Your folks are like God because you want to know they're out there and you want them to approve of your life, still you only call them when you're in a crisis and need something.

Day I got an internship.


My Father
: Did you get those e-mails I sent you about Jewish publishing jobs?
Me: Oh, yeah. But I don't need them because I have a summer internship.
My Father: OK, listen, I have to go. Bye

Later that night.

Me: So, I tried to tell Abba this before but he was too busy to hear me out. But I got a really great internship.
My Mother: OK, so tell me. What is it?
Me: _____ (I'm not actually going to tell you what it is. I don't want to get fired before I even get there.)
My Mother: That's nice.
Me: No, it's a really big deal. It's really hard to get.
My Mother: Then I don't understand why you're afraid of getting into law school.

1 Comments:

At 12/19/06, 2:29 PM, Blogger Scraps said...

That stinks. :( It hurts when our parents are dismissive of our achievements, simply because they are not the achievements THEY wanted us to have...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home