Saturday, November 25, 2006

On Black Friday, Crazy Americans, and Disappointment

My computer is slowly dying. Which is bad. So, my dad had this brilliant idea of going to find a new one on Black Friday when everything would be on sale. Good idea. I was totally up for it. My father asked if I was willing to wait on line in the cold for two hours while he slept in the car. I was. We picked through the ads, picked a few computers at two stores that looked promising and left the house at 3 a.m.

We got to the mall at about 3:15 and drove up to Best Buy, where we found a parking lot full of hundreds of people who looked like they'd moved in, complete with tents, blankets, and small children. We moved on to Circuit City where the line was shorter, though not quite short. My dad looked skeptical. I said I wanted to wait, my iPod and Japanese literature coursepack to keep me company. He retired to the car for a nap.

Two hours later, shivering and with some frozen toes, we got into the store. Only to find more lines. After utter exhaustion and disappointment, we left without a computer. My father expressed awe at my ability to stay in the cold that long to which I replied he underestimated my determination to get a working computer.

We ordered one online in the comfort and warmth of my home tonight. But I would venture that waiting on line in the cold on Black Friday is part of the American experience--the insane American experience, but the American experience nonetheless. So, I am now fully American. Or just fully insane.

8 Comments:

At 11/25/06, 9:26 PM, Blogger Lawyer-Wearing-Yarmulka said...

Just insane- I went to CompUSA on Thursday night to try and get a really cheap GPS navigation thingy.

I stood in line for 2 hours in the rain, and waited while the store employees refused to open the doors until the police showed up due to the potential for riots. I managed to get in, get one of the last on the shelf, and get out without getting killed.

Never again.

 
At 11/25/06, 9:27 PM, Blogger ggggg said...

I personally avoid this particular insanity of the "american dream"

 
At 11/27/06, 5:56 AM, Blogger bamidbarminbar said...

Heh - my shaliach tzibbur was in the resistance. He works now at the biggest retail store in the city selling furniture. He says to me last week: "I don't understand it. I used to stand in line in the cold for just a piece of bread, and here look at all the lines but for what? I don't understand the american people. I would still stand in line... just for a little piece of donut!" :)

 
At 11/27/06, 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking for a new laptop, too. Any suggestions or would you care to share which you bought?

 
At 11/27/06, 3:59 PM, Blogger Eli7 said...

I bought a Compaq laptop. You can go their Web site (or hp.com because they're the same now) and browse the options. They have a decent amount of options for a relatively low cost--if you can stomach the $50 in shipping.

 
At 11/27/06, 5:01 PM, Blogger SaraK said...

Insane is right...I prefer cyber Monday.

 
At 11/28/06, 6:58 AM, Blogger Scraps said...

I was never one of those people waiting through the wee hours of the night in the freezing cold. I think the earliest I ever got out on a Black Friday was around 7ish, and now I can't get out at all because I have work that Friday. Ah well, life goes on.

 
At 12/10/06, 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or just another insane american

 

Post a Comment

<< Home